- Published on Wednesday, 15 February 2012 05:36
- Heather Chapman
A large part of our community in the Four Point area is our wonderful preschool programs. Due to the area's fast growth and development, we have many new families joining our community everyday. We want to give a more in-depth look at our local preschools to show families the wonderful options available to them.
PointAustin is highlighting these community preschools in the coming weeks. We are taking the time to personally visit, tour, and speak with the directors and owners of each school presented. We will share pictures and answers to some of our own concerns as preschool parents. Please keep in mind that the choice for your child's preschool is a personal, yet very important decision for each family. We encourage you to contact these schools directly with any questions or concerns.
Canyon Creek Preschool
I must first preface this post by saying that I am currently a proud Canyon Creek Preschool (CCP) mama. I do have one child attending CCP. My own experience has been a wonderful one these past 4 years.
The religious aspect played an important role in our decision for our children to attend Canyon Creek. One of my favorite qualities about this preschool is the caring, warm staff. I love the way the front area of the preschool/church is a gathering area for the moms and tots to play and talk. There are picnic tables and trees to shade us from the Texas sun and heat. With the overall size being smaller than other local preschools, it feels like everyone knows everyone else; it's like one big family.
Summary of the curriculum
Located in front of Canyon Creek Neighborhood, on Boulder Lane, this half-day program focuses on a “processed-centered” approach to learning. This learning by discovery method uses models in place of worksheets. Canyon Creek Preschool believes the process in which the child discovers and learns is extremely important.
I met with the preschool director, Kristi Priddy. We discussed many items and important dates coming up on the calendar. I feel the easiest way to present the material would be in bullet points. These are highlights from our conversation.
- Important upcoming dates for future and current parents
◦ Tour dates March 8, 2012. No reservation required.
◦ 2012-2013 Registration is Thursday, February 16th at 9:15 am for current parents.
- Classes are available from 6 months of age through Kindergarten.
- With a smaller student-to-teacher ratio, Canyon Creek’s ratio numbers are about half of what the state requires, allowing for more one-on-time with each student.
- Students get to experience weekly Chapel, an opportunity to learn pray and worship God in an age appropriate way and participate in Creative Movement, a fun way to explore movement utilizing music and imagination. Canyon Creek does offer additional enrichment classes after their morning program from 1-2 pm for an additional charge. Examples of these classes may be Cooking, Spanish, Exercise, and Art.
-CCP has resources available from the state of Texas for evaluating children with potential disabilities, if needed. CCP is also flexible in working with specialists in the classroom setting verses pulling a child out and separating the child from their peers.
- CCP accepts children with food allergies and handles them with the utmost care. A picture of the child is posted in the child’s classroom with their listed allergy or allergies. There are always school-wide peanut free snacks provided. Other allergy-free foods can easily be stored in the child’s classroom, as needed.
- Canyon Creek Preschool works with the city to do voluntary continued education for their staff.
- Partnered with the Church at Canyon Creek, the preschool is involved with local community, such as, food drives, community Easter Egg Hunt, Dad’s Night, participating in the Hill Country Ministries, Bike-A-Thon, and Week Of The Young Child.
- If prospective parents feel that Canyon Creek is a good fit for their family, they can fill out a registration form and leave a deposit of $100 to be put on a wait list for the current or upcoming school year.
What other Mommies are saying:
"Canyon Creek Preschool has offered a safe, nurturing environment for my children for the past 6 years. They have learned respect, independence, and basic educational tools needed in a loving Christian environment. Not to mention, they have tons of FUN!!" ~Tiffany Esquivel
"Our family feels so blessed to have found a preschool home at Canyon Creek Preschool. We have been so pleased with their "play-based" curriculum and feel that it is the perfect combination of play and academics for preschoolers. The school is a fantastic child-centered environment with an extremely experienced and knowledgeable staff. My kids learned to love school in this environment. That is the most wonderful gift a parent could ask for. I am so appreciative of those who strive to create a nurturing and positive environment for all children--I know it builds confident and happy people!" ~ Heather Wykrent
Please visit their website and schedule a tour for additional information. I recommend prior to attending and interviewing any school that you make a list of questions or concerns to ask or address. Ask about the student-to-teacher ratio per age group, education of the teachers and management, disciplining, if any, resources for special needs and the willingness for the schools to work with specialists, and continued education of the staff. Some of these may be items you may or may not think about upfront. I believe they may be equally as important as the drive time, distance and location.
Located at 9001 N FM 620 Austin, TX 78726-4003 512-258-4495
Photo Credit: (Top photo) Canyon Creek Preschool Website